I love the smell of an award in the morning …
No, not that one. THIS one
There’s nothing that can make up for a bad cup of coffee but sometimes it can at least be forgotten by a pleasant distraction.
Fellow blogger Colin Bisset has nominated me for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Che bella sorpresa, thanks so much. Writer/broadcaster Colin has a lovely blog where he blends his love of words with his love of design. We bonded over a post I wrote about my preferred coffee-making method and I’m thrilled he admits I changed his coffee habit.
Awards are hard-won, and there’s a little housekeeping to do first. I have to abide by the rules of this game by:
- Thanking and linking to the person who nominated me
- Listing the rules and displaying the award
- Sharing seven facts about myself
- Nominating 15 other blogs I enjoy, then commenting on their posts to let them know I’ve nominated them
- I was named after the main character in the 1944 romance novel Forever Amber. My mother saw the film in Italy years later and loved the name (which is Ambra in Italian)
- Raw onion is my enemy. Apart from giving me tears so ferocious I need a towel to mop my face, I hate the taste, the after-taste and the lingering taste the day after
- I have adopted the neighbourhood cat lady as my mentor and hope to become just as eccentric
- I badly need (swimming) stroke correction
- I worship at the alter of choreographer Bob Fosse (especially The Pajama Game, Sweet Charity, Chicago and Cabaret)
- I learnt to dance salsa in 1999, perfected it in Cuba in 2000 and didn’t stop dancing until 2007. Boy, was I tired.
- I’m a fairly decent cook but Asian stir fries defeat me
But enough about me. This is the business of sharing, and these are the blogs I like to read (no particular order):
Bizzy Lizzy’s Good Things – A collection of recipes, essays, food news and reviews
The Food Sage – All things gastronomic by food writer/restaurant reviewer Rachel Lebihan
Gherkins and Tomatoes – A blog about the universal language of food
Garden Drum – Plants, gardening, edibles, garden design, pets, wildlife, travel
Paradisus Garden Lovers – Garden inspiration and advice from designer Peter Nixon
Silver Screen Suppers – The wacky world of film star dining (featuring a lot of Vincent Price)
Venice: I am not Making this Up – Journalist Erla Zwingle’s wry take on life in Venice
Jovina Cooks Italian – Home-cooked Italian meals with emphasis on regional specialities
Italy on my Mind – Comprehensive ‘how-to’ recipes for elegant Italian dishes
On Food and Film – Hyperbolic ruminations on food and film
Skiourophilia – Covetable bits’n’pieces and vintage wares
Curnblog – Film reviews, interviews, opinions and interesting perspectives
Hollywood Essays – Behind-the-scenes stories and photos of Louis B. Mayer’s early Hollywood
Good Morning Trieste – Food, art, photos from my p.o.b. – Trieste
Thanks again Colin for the nomination – and the distraction.